Are you interested in receiving free tax preparation through HWCLI’s Virtual VITA Program? You’ve come to the right place! HWCLI’s Virtual VITA program is generously supported by Citi Community Development. Additional support is provided by Bank of America, Capital 1, and Bridgehampton National Bank.
Here is everything you need to know about HWCLI’s 2019 Virtual VITA Program:
When Does It Start?
You can prepare your 2018 taxes with us starting January 29, 2019. You can prepare taxes from 2015, 2016, 2017 starting March 1, 2019.
If your household income was less than $55,000 in 2018, you could qualify for completely free tax preparation!
How Does it Work?
The Virtual VITA program utilizes technology to connect the taxpayer and tax preparer. The process is quick and simple. Make an appointment at our main office in Melville or any of our intake sites across Nassau and Suffolk Counties.
1. HWCLI staff will scan your tax documents to our secure online system and assist you in completing the intake forms.
2. Documents are uploaded to our secure online system.
3. An offsite tax preparer from the Food Bank for NYC will call you within three business days to complete your return over the phone. They will confirm your identity, discuss your income, expenses, any money owed, as well as if you qualify for a refund or tax credits.
4. If you have an email address, you can sign your return right from your smartphone or tablet. Or, return to the site to sign and file your return.
What Do I Bring?
Here are all the documents you need to bring to file your taxes through HWCLI’s Virtual VITA Program.
- *Joint returns require both filers to be present to sign the return*
- You MUST bring Social Security Cards or ITIN for all people on the tax return
- Valid Photo Identification (You and your spouse, if you are filing jointly)
- W-2 for all jobs you had in 2018
- Voided check and/or savings account number if you want direct deposit of your refund. (Optional)
- Form 1099-R or SSA if you receive a pension or Social Security
- Form 1099-G if you received unemployment benefits
- If you have educational expenses, bring the 1098-T or 1098-E form
- Interest and dividend statements from banks (Form 1099– DIV or INT)
- Total paid for child care & child care providers tax ID or Social Security
- Number of child care provider
- Form 1098—Mortgage interest and property taxes
- NEW: If you purchased health insurance through the New York State of Health Marketplace, bring form 1095-A or B
We cannot prepare your taxes if you have:
- Any of the following income: rent income (Scheduled E), royalties, partnerships, trust or farm income.
- Tax returns for ministers or members of the clergy.
- Moving expenses or HSA.
- Form 4797 Sales of Business Property.
- Self-employed health insurance deductions.
- Domestic productions activities (form 8903).
- Credits from forms 2439, 8839 and 8885.
- Federal tax fuel Scheduled 4136.
- Household employment Scheduled H.
- PR income, Foreign Earned Income exemption (forms 2555/2555-EZ).
- Adoption Credit.
- Out of state returns or part-year residents of NYS.
Where Can I Go to Receive This Service?
If you have any questions, contact Tommi-Grace at (516) 505-4430.